Notes from 8/14/18:
- Lions have had no problems with the Giants and vice versa. Overall, everything has been running smoothly.
- Now for the offense, Wayne Gallman got a lot more first team running back reps due to the absence of Saquon Barkley (hamstring). Gallman really impressed the coaching staff in the run/pass game.
- The first team offense played pretty well overall. Eli Manning was dominant at quarterback, and the combination of Odell Beckham Jr., Evan Engram, and Sterling Shepard was difficult to stop. Eli Manning threw the ball pretty well and only through one bad pass which led to a Glover Quin (Lions’ safety) interception. Eli was on the money from one-on-ones at the start till the two minute drill at the end.
- Evan Engram was a mismatch for the Lions defense. He is very versatile and was able to be a productive playmaker.
- Odell Beckham Jr. was electric! He seemed 100% recovered from his ankle injury. He burned Detriots’ secondary and was able to make a lot of plays. He was productive everytime he had an opportunity to be. It seemed like he took no plays off.
- The offensive line played well. Solder seemed like he improved from his debut against the Browns. His two plays against the Lions best defensive end, Ezekiel Ansah, turned out in in a stalemate. Which means he protected the person with the ball. However, Jon Halapio was the most impressive offensive today.
- Now to the defensive and the defensive line. Avery Moss was a stand out player, even if it was mostly third team reps that he was playing. Also, in the two-minute drill Vernon got to Stafford which would have been a drive ending sack if it was a live game.
- A negative was the linebacker game. Alec Ogletree did make some good plays but overall the linebacker corps was not impressive.
- For the secondary: Eli Apple and Janoris Jenkins played well overall. There is definitely room for improvement though. They were beat on occasion by the skill and strength of Stafford’s arm. However, Stafford is one of the best in the league in my opinion and it is better to get reps against the best. Curtis Riley played well and is trying to lock up the starting free safety job.
- Connor Barwin (soreness) and Saquon Barkley (hamstring were two key players who did not practice. However, Barwin was a vocal leader and helped rookie OLB, Lorenzo Carter, out a lot. Barwin served as a veteran presence out there.
- Overall, we seem to be improving and today was a nice outing for the team. I am very excited to see this offense during the regular season since I think it is so dynamic.