Notes from 8/15/18:
- We will start with the defense today who preformed much better. I’ll start with the linebackers. This group had a huge improvement from yesterday’s practice. Alec Ogletree was a great downhill player today with a sack and a tackle for loss. He is very athletic and is a type of inside linebacker we have not had in the last few years. The other inside linebacker, B.J. Goodson, also played well. He was much better in pass coverage today with a pass deflection on a ball intended to Golden Tate. Finally, Lorenzo Carter, rookie OLB out of Georgia, was all over the place today. He punished the Lions tight ends when they attempted to block him, and Carter had a sack and 2 quarterback pressures today.
- Now for the defensive line there were three standouts: Robert Thomas, Olivier Vernon, and Dalvin Tomlinson. Thomas played well in team drills and was one of the best defensive lineman in one-on-one drills with Detroit’s offensive line. Vernon has been playing well almost every practice this year and today he had at least two sacks, a tackle for loss, and a QB pressure. Vernon did overshadow guys like Dalvin Tomlinson but that does not mean he played poorly. Tomlinson got into the backfield often and caused havoc at times.
- The last part of the defense is the secondary who did not play that great. However, Eli Apple did have a pretty nice day with an interception on a Jake Rudock pass intended to Marvin Jones Jr. This was coming off a pass interference Apple had on the play before so it is good to see that he is maturing by not letting one bad play affect his play. Nevertheless, Eli Apple has a lot to learn and was beat by Jones Jr. on multiple occasions.
- Now for the offense. The offense was not as electric as yesterday. However, the receiving corp played well. Odell Beckham Jr. and Hunter Sharp both had nice touchdown grabs. Sterling Shepard also had a nice grab on 3rd and three. Rhett Ellison was an unusual standout and had three redzone touchdowns.
- The offense was commandeered by Eli much less today compared to yesterday. Davis Webb and Kyle Lauletta got opportunities today but none of them really stood out. Webb had some nice throws but was very inconsistent as usual.
- The run game was not that great but remember our starting running back was not practicing. Barkley is definitely a game changer and I am excited to see him play in his first real NFL game against one of the best defenses in the league, the Jaguars.
- The offensive line played all right. Nate Solder definitely shined amongst the rest. Solder was great against Ezekiel Ansah again today. HE had one bad rep against him but was pretty good besides that. I don’t think he is worth the money we are paying him but Solder is a solid player.
- Overall, I thought yesterday’s practice was better but (as I have said multiple times) I think this team has a lot of potential. Our preseason game against the Lions is Friday night at 7:00 EST.